After completing this monster I had a fair bit of jute string left over, and in the current mood I have for stashbusting I decided to get started on finding things to use it up on. The garden was an obvious choice for one of the balls but I decided on something different for the other.
I like having a rough scrubber in the bathroom and I noticed the one I have already is starting to look a little manky, due I think to never really drying out. It's one of those sisal mitt type ones you buy, not very attractive and I decided I could do better.
You don't get much easier than this in crochet land, or you could knit it just as effectively I imagine. It's surprisingly pliable and not scratchy at all. Perfect for the job in fact, and it cost nothing, being a by-product of the bag. There's loads more left so I'll be thinking of other ways to transform it into useful and/or beautiful things. I have another planned already.
I shall put the pattern, such as it is, on Ravelry (see sidebar) so the world can marvel at my ingenuity...
With a 4mm crochet hook make a chain of 24 sts. The first 2 chains will be the turning stitch.
In the 2nd stitch from the hook make a DC (UK) and continue to do same in each st to the end. Chain 2 and repeat the DC to the end...continue to repeat this row until the desired length (mine is roughly square) is reached.
Leaving yarn attached and with the 2DC now on one corner, turn the work and go back around the other 3 sides (ie not the row you just did, this will be the neatest and fine for a border) doing a DC border to neaten. If required make a loop for hanging at one corner (I just used a simple chain). Sew in ends.